Child Custody

Rock Hill Child Custody Lawyer

Diligent Rock Hill Child custody Lawyers advise divorcing parents in custody matters

When families split up, disagreements about child custody issues are not uncommon. At Gillen & Pickelsimer, LLC in Rock Hill, South Carolina, we look out for the best interests of our clients and their children in custody matters. 

As experienced family law attorneys, we have in-depth knowledge of South Carolina’s child custody laws and use it to help residents of York, Richland and Lancaster counties and the surrounding SC areas who are involved in familial disputes.

At What Age Can a Child Choose Which Parent to Live With in SC?

South Carolina does not allow children to move out without their parent's consent until they are 18 or emancipated. Children between 12 and 14 can state which parent they choose to live with. Children 14 years of age or older, and especially those over 16, will have their preference extensively considered by the judge. However, family court judges may consider a child's preference.

Securing Favorable Child Custody Agreements in Rock Hill

When determining child custody in South Carolina, all decisions are made according to the best interests of the child. 

Within this framework, if parents can’t reach an agreement amongst themselves or through mediation, judges will look at children’s needs, how parents can meet those needs, parental preferences and several other factors in order to make and finalize the decision themselves. 

Judges often seek to award the parents joint custody in order to maintain the family unit, but one parent may also be awarded primary custody with the other parent receiving visitation rights. Often the non-custodial parent will be ordered to pay child support. 

Our law firm will work toward bringing you a satisfactory custody outcome based upon your wishes and situation.

Contact Us

We provided individuals with high-quality representation and compassionate guidance.

Dedicated Counselors Assist with Custody and Visitation Modifications

Modifying custody or visitation awards requires submitting a petition to the family law court that issued the original order. If both parents agree on the modification, the process may be fairly smooth. However, if parents don’t agree, the party asking for the modification will have to show the court why a modification is needed. 

Changes to a custody agreement typically require a “substantial change in circumstances,” which typically means something that affects the child’s welfare. For example, if one of the parents is now doing something to endanger the child, or if living in a better school district might benefit the child, these might be reasons for modification. 

Sometimes relocation issues drive custody modification requests if the custodial parent wants to move with the child to another location far from the non-custodial parent. We can advise you about the circumstances that may be considered in modifying custody and visitation orders.

What Age Can a Child Decide to Stop Visitation in South Carolina?

There is no set age at which a child can refuse visitation in South Carolina. However, once a child reaches their teens, forcing them to visit with a noncustodial parent can be difficult.

South Carolina mandates that a noncustodial parent receive a minimum amount of visitation. Typically, a minimum visitation award will grant a parent one weeknight visit and overnight visits every other weekend.

    "He is definitely someone who knows what they are talking about, extremely smart, but also truly cared what happened at the end of the day."

    - Melissa

    "My case was difficult and Mr. Gillen and his staff were very supportive and helped me through each step of the process."

    - Kristina

    "His straight forward, no nonsense, practical approach to handling the issues faced by my family was greatly appreciated and he produced excellent results."

    - John

    "Max was great at helping me keep things in perspective as he confidently directed me to focus my energy on my children while he focused his energy on the litigation."

    - Former Client

Empathetic Rock Hill Child Custody Attorneys Advise Clients in Disputes Related to a Child’s Upbringing

Sometimes following divorce, parents cannot agree on the way their child should be raised. These decisions might relate to religion, education or other lifestyle concerns. If you are involved in a dispute with your child’s other parent, we can advise you about your rights in making decisions related to your child.

Gillen & Pickelsimer, LLC in Rock Hill helps clients in York, Richland and Lancaster counties and surrounding SC areas with child custody matters. To schedule a consultation, call our law firm at (866) 977-5251 or contact us online.

Continue Reading Read Less

Contact Us Today


At Gillen & Pickelsimer, LLC, we're always ready to take your calls! Give us a call or fill out the form below to contact one of our team members.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy